CHAIRMAN: DR. KHALID BIN THANI AL THANI
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: PROF. KHALID MUBARAK AL-SHAFI

World / Europe

Nearly 1,500 evacuated in Paris region as rising Seine poses flood risk

Published: 28 Jan 2018 - 03:40 pm | Last Updated: 02 Nov 2021 - 10:08 pm
This photo was taken on January 28, 2018, shows the cafe 'Les Nautes' in Paris partly immersed in the the water of the Seine river.   AFP / GEOFFROY VAN DER HASSELT

This photo was taken on January 28, 2018, shows the cafe 'Les Nautes' in Paris partly immersed in the the water of the Seine river. AFP / GEOFFROY VAN DER HASSELT

Reuters

PARIS: Nearly 1,500 people have been evacuated from homes in the Paris region, with authorities on alert for any major flood risk after the levels of the swollen River Seine rose further on Sunday.

Michel Delpuech, head of the Paris police body, told reporters that around 1,500 people had been moved out of homes in the Ile de France region comprising the French capital and its suburbs.

"The waters will only go away slowly," added Delpuech.

The Seine's waters were set to peak later on Sunday or early on Monday close to levels which led to similar flooding in 2016, authorities said.

The overflowing waters have already engulfed riverside walkways in Paris and led the world-famous Louvre museum to close a basement display of Islamic art.

Paris's "Bateaux Mouches" tourist boats have been shut down due to the high waters while swans have been seen swimming where there are usually pavements and rats forced up onto the streets.

Flooding caused destruction in Paris in 1910 when the Seine rose by 8.65 meters, although no deaths were recorded there.