CEO of Qatar Media Corporation (QMC) H E Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Thani bin Khalid Al Thani.
DOHA: CEO of Qatar Media Corporation (QMC) H E Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Thani bin Khalid Al Thani described the media coverage of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 as distinguished locally and internationally.
He said that the coverage was worthy of the country’s reputation and the global football event. “It was characterised by comprehensiveness and diversity which contributed greatly to the success of the tournament.”
In an exclusive interview with QNA, QMC CEO said: “First of all, we extend our warmest congratulations to Amir H H Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani for the impressive success of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and we congratulate the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy for its fruitful efforts.”
Surely, he said, this remarkable success of Qatar in hosting the tournament attracted the attention of political and sports officials around the world who confirmed that Qatar has fulfilled all the promises it made to organise an exceptional World Cup and an unprecedented edition in the history of the FIFA World Cup.
Sheikh Abdulaziz noted the solidarity of the various state agencies for the success of the tournament, and the decisive role of the local media both traditional and modern.
He cited examples of the launch of the host country media center and receiving about 6,900 requests for media accreditation through the Qatar Media Portal.
QMC CEO said that these steps helped achieve this success and distinction in covering the tournament and provided the best working conditions for media representatives from different countries of the world, including media representatives and broadcasters accredited by FIFA. “It was reflected in the quality and efficiency of coverage of the tournament and the accompanying events in a professional manner.”
At the local level, he said, it appeared that the Qatari print and electronic media as well as social networking sites, run by Qataris and residents, enjoy a sense of responsibility and rational drive, in order to present the correct and appropriate image of Qatar about hosting this mega sporting event.
Sheikh Abdulaziz said that at the international level, coverage was excellent. “We saw studios with exceptional standards for international sports channels which were set up in Doha to keep pace with the event ... we saw senior journalists and sports commentators from the world who came to us and presented their news and analysis to their viewers around the world.”
He said that channels, newspapers, and social networking sites in the East and West were broadcasting non-stop, and this is a beautiful thing. “Of course, a malicious campaign interrupted this, but it did not find listening ears, nor did anyone believe or be convinced of it.”
QMC CEO explained that the fact that remained was the one that was referred on Friday by FIFA President Gianni Infantino, when he announced that: “The FIFA unanimously praised the unique effort made by Qatar for the success of this version of the FIFA World Cup.”
The tournament, the best in the history of the World Cup, whose matches have been attended so far by 3.27 million fans, a number that exceeds what was attended in all matches of the 2018 edition of the tournament, and its matches took place in safe environment.
Regarding the unjustified campaigns against the organisation of the World Cup in Qatar from the media of specific countries, Sheikh Abdulaziz said: “Indeed, our country was subjected to a coordinated and fabricated attack at the same time. This was indicated by H H the Amir.”
He said that this attack did not only target Qatar, but also targeted an entire region of the world, namely the Arab region and the Middle East. “The offensive and distorted images presented by this campaign show ignorance of reality and lack of professionalism and impartiality.”
However, QMC CEO said, the legacy of this tournament will remain in the memory for a long time, and these allegations will be forgotten.
He said that these malicious campaigns began when Qatar won the right of hosting the World Cup in 2010, and continued to increase in ferocity until it reached its peak in recent years, before the start of the World Cup, with the aim of thwarting it.
Sheikh Abdulaziz said that these campaigns intentionally ignored the great Qatari achievements in the areas of the labour market, human rights, expatriate workers, women, and people with special needs, and focused on matters that were either incorrect or had nothing to do with the culture and civilisation of the region.
He indicated that the motives and starting points for the attack on tournament are the feeling of some superiority.
He said that one of the important messages of the Qatar World Cup is love, regardless of any differences, especially since sport is supposed to be a means that brings peoples and distances closer together.
On the distinguished coverage by media outlets of QMC (TV and radio networks) of matches and the accompanying cultural and entertainment events, Sheikh Abdulaziz said: “We, at the Qatar Media Corporation sought to provide all logistical services for the success of this national and international event.”
Regarding the extent of the economic, cultural and social presence in the daily coverage of the World Cup on QMC’s media outlets, Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Thani bin Khalid Al Thani indicated that the various channels and radios of the corporation presented many economic, social and cultural programs and reports.
For example, he said, it is possible to use the 'Hala Baykom' program on Qatar TV, which hosted a Qatari family to practically shed light on the most important tourist, heritage and cultural sites in the country. "The program has become with a tourist guide for all visitors to Qatar highlighting its places and famous Qatari dishes."
He said: "We are pleased with the level of turnout on the social media platforms of QMC’s social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc). As these platforms witnessed many competitions, exclusive coverage, and content around the clock."
During the World Cup hosted by Brazil in 2014, for example, football fans tweeted 672 million times on the Twitter platform, which is a record for the social network, according to data issued by the platform, and Brazil's defeat (1-7) against Germany was the most tweeted match with an average of 618,000 tweets per minute (about 10,300 tweets per second). On the day of the launch of this version of the Qatar World Cup 2022, there were more than 20,000 tweets per second, according to the same platform which is a record number of tweets from the World Cup Qatar.
He added that this presence of QMC was reflected in the interaction of the masses with the media, as the Qatari and Arab interaction with its digital platforms was great.
At the end of his interview with QNA, the CEO of QMC stressed that what is distinctive about this edition of the World Cup is that the State of Qatar, although it has made every effort to hold a tournament at a high level of professionalism, has not deviated from its moral principles.