File photo
Seoul: US President Donald Trump said he ordered the Pentagon to scale back "inappropriate and hostile" military drills with Republic of Korea, hours before the exercises began on Monday.
Trump cited his "good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, as he said he was unhappy about the drills that were designed to prepare for a possible attack by Pyongyang.
Republic of Korea's defence ministry said it was proceeding as "previously notified and scheduled" with the annual exercise, which has prompted several rounds of warnings from Pyongyang last week.
"Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
"These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful," he added.
As it was too late to cancel the drills, Trump said he had ordered Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" them.
Colonel Ryan Donald, spokesman for the US and South Korean Combined Forces Command, had said the drills would simulate combat against North Korean troops battle-hardened by deployment in the Russia-Ukraine war.